Re: [nv-l] netmon.seed file question

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netmon.seed file question
From: "wvevans" <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:09:49 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:16:22 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Just the "top level" or primary IP address for the router.  This is best if it's a loopback address for the box. Second best is the topologically closest IP address to the monitoring station.

The documentation is there; not obvious but present.

The one place you need all the interface addresses is in your /etc/hosts file or your DNS.  The lead entry in the DNS or hosts file is the same address ou put in the $xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx entry of your seed file and all the interface addresses need to point back to this primary entry.

You would also put the same address without the "$" in the seed file for the initial ping which allows discovery to happen or add the device with loadhosts.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support at DOE