Re: [nv-l] VRRP and Netview

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] VRRP and Netview
From: Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:21:51 +0200
Cc: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:36:02 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

thanks

but I have already applied Fixpack 2

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy@fr.ibm.com

|         |           Michael Webb     |
|         |           <mlwebb@us.ibm.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           30-03-2004 14:18 |
|         |           nv-l             |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                                     |
  |       cc:
                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] VRRP and Netview

Although your scenario involves VRRP, it could be that one or some of the
HSRP interim fixes may help out in your situation.

All of the following HSRP Interim fixes listed below are now included in
7.1.3 FixPack2.  The first one listed below, IY38924, sounds like it may
address one of your problems. You mentioned that from time to time the VRRP
addresses appear on other devices.

In this case, for IY38924, NetView did not reassign the Virtual IP address
to the HSRP router if it was first assigned to a workstation (or some other
device) AND that workstation (or other device) had a different community
string than the HSRP router.  Not sure if this applies to your current
configuration.

Nevertheless, here are some HSRP interim fixes you may be interested in:

IY38924 Windows/UNIX An HSRP interface may be assigned to the IP forwarding
workstation if it is discovered earlier than the router that actually owns
the interface.

IY42541 Windows/UNIX Multiple interface down events generated for HSRP
virtual interface.

IY43169 Windows/UNIX HSRP interface is discovered as a lone device after
fix for IY38709.

IY48203 Windows/UNIX Don't add secondary interface to HSRP interface if its
the same MAC address.

Michael Webb, IBM Tivoli
Q1CA Distributed NetView / ITSA SVT
Email: mlwebb@us.ibm.com
Ext: (919) 224-1410, T/L: 687-1410
(Embedded image moved to file: pic20009.gif)Inactive hide details for
Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>

 (Embed (Embedded image moved to file:          (Embedded image moved to
 ded    pic18656.gif)                           file: pic09538.gif)
 image                          Maxime TRANNOY
 moved                          <MTRANNOY@fr.ib To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
 to                             m.com>          cc:
 file:                          Sent by:        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com,
 14.gif                         s.us.ibm.com    om
 )                                              Subject: Re: [nv-l] VRRP
                                                and Netview
                                03/30/2004
                                02:43 AM
                                Please respond
                                to nv-l

Hi Paul,

The Device are not routers but Nokia firewall.

In fact my seedile look like this

% VRRP for zone A
% VRRP for ZONE B
% VRRP for ZONE C
@IP for FW1 zone A (my management address)
@IP for FW2 zone B (my management address)

The kind of problem is for example:

The VRRP address for zone C is not discovered on my FW1 neither on my FW2 .
The command ovtopodump | grep @VRRP (for all the zone) return no lines.
But from time to time the VRRP addresses appear on other devices. But as
soon as netview discovered that the address does not belong to this device
netmon delete the interface and my node goes down.

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy@fr.ibm.com

|         |           Paul             |
|         |           <pstroud@bellsout|
|         |           h.net>           |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           24-03-2004 20:38 |
|         |           nv-l             |

 |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
|
 |       cc:
|
 |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] VRRP and Netview

This sounds like a duplicate IP address problem, are you discovering
the device via the VRRP interface, if so, I would suggest using the
loopback address of the router for discovery.

Paul

Maxime TRANNOY wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have nokia's FW with VRRPs.
>To defined the VRRP for Netview, I put a % in front a each VRRP address in
>the seed file.
>My problem is that the VRRP of this Firewall are not discovered and from
>time to time appeared and disappeared on other Nodes than my FW.
>And when they appeared on this devices a few second after I received a
Node