Re: [nv-l] SAN switch traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SAN switch traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:36:56 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:46:29 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

What you installed are just definitions for how trapd should display those traps IF he gets them.
Do you see anything at all?  I mean are there unformatted traps which say "no fmt found" or  some garbled version of what you expect?

If not, there are two possibilities.
(1) Brocade is not sending the traps.  Is there some device or software log you can look at to find out?
(2) The traps are sent in SNMP V2 format.  NetView for Windows does not display SNMP V2 traps.  It has no code to interpret them, so they will be discarded.  How can you tell if you are getting V2 traps?   Well, you might see error messages in \usr\ov\log\nv.log about traps being discarded.

Alternatively you can answer both questions in a short time by downloading a free tool off the web.  It's called the Ethereal packet analyzer and it's available from http://www.ethereal.com.  It installs easily in about five minutes.  Then you can set a capture filter for "udp and port 162" and see what is being sent to the MS Trap Service.  The packets will be nicely formatted.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Lucian Vanghele" <lucian.vanghele@bisnet.ro>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/08/2004 04:22 AM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] SAN switch traps

hi there list !

I want to send traps from a Brocade SAN switch to a windows nv 713 and I receive allways messages like that:

- PORT INDEX %d changed to %d Port Name: %s and SSN is #%s, GroupName %s, GroupType %s, GroupMemPosition %d

I'm sure I imported correctly the traps from the switch mib file so... what could be the reason? It really doesn't help now.

thanks

Lucian

Sincerely Yours / al Dvs.
Lucian Vanghele,
Senior System Engineer, Business Information Systems- BIS srl
tf./fax:+4021 255 4579

This message is strictly confidential, between the emitter's and the
addressee's companies.
It's mandatory to have the approval of the initiator, to send it entirely or
partially, to a third company.

Acest mesaj este strict confidential , pentru companiile emitentului si
receptorului.
Pentru a putea fi transmis, intreg sau partial, unei terte companii, este
obligatoriu a avea aprobarea initiatorului.