Re: [nv-l] Community Name

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Community Name
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:09:05 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:21:14 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

But NetView isn't reading /etc/snmp.conf on your box when he polls remote devices; he has his own database for that.

The first thing to do is to try an snmpwalk of the your NetView box to see whether it is defined correctly using the default community name.  From a command line enter:
        snmpwalk <netview box name>
If that works then try one of your problem servers
        snmpwalk <aix server>
If it doesn't work, and time-out, then try it with what you think is the correct community name for that server:
        snmpwalk -c <community string> <aix server>
If that works, then you need to update the ovsnmp.conf database with the correct community string.  Use
        xnmsnmpconf

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Kevin Campbell" <kcampbell@tgen.org>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/08/2004 03:52 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Community Name

I am seeing the following warnings in the NV server events

A IBM Incorrect Community Name (authenticationFailure Trap)

This error is coming from a number of my AIX servers. I have looked at the /etc/snmp.conf file and everything looks to be setup properly. Has anyone else seen these types of warnings? And what was the fix?

Netview 7.1.3
AIX 5.1

Thanks in advance
KevinC