RE: [nv-l] Community Name

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Community Name
From: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:13:17 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:43:53 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Something is attempting to access SNMP on your servers sending the traps
with the incorrect community name. You can generate these yourself by trying
to snmpwalk one of the nodes with the incorrect community name and you will
see the trap come into your NetView trapd.log.

Finding the offending application can be a challenge. I had to packet sniff
one of my machines to find out who was sending SNMP packets to my servers
other than me. Come to find out it was my development NetView machine who
wasn't configured correctly that was causing it.

Scott Bursik
Enterprise Systems Management
PepsiCo Business Solutions Group
(972) 963-1400