RE: [nv-l] hostname changed

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] hostname changed
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:53:44 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:02:01 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You can do it as an operator, but NetView, that is, netmon does not do it by itself.  Let's get clear about that.

And as I indicated, there are several ways that a smart Cisco administrator can disable this function altogether, and should.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Federico Vidal" <fvidal@tecsystem.com.ar>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/13/2004 02:55 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] hostname changed

Jean-Michel,

Yes, you can do it by SNMP.
Just verify that the SNMP agent on the device you want to change the hostname is configured correctly to allow Netview to change the Hostname (sysName).

The SNMP variable that holds the hostname is mib-2.system.sysName.0 .
The SNMP Agent must have configured a RW community (and allow the Netview IP to access the agent).
Netview must use this community name to issue a set request on the MIB variable of the device.

Regards,

Federico Vidal
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
Tecsystem S.R.L.