Re: [nv-l] Disabling port 162 use

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Disabling port 162 use
From: Johanna Hislop <jhislop@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:05:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:19:47 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, the issue with just using NetView's trapforwarding is that we're
dealing with SNMP v2 traps in some situations.  The other application is
IBM Director.  I follow what you're saying, but am not sure about IBM
Director's capabilities.  I'm kind of in the middle of it, as I see NetView
is too.  I'll take this info back and see if this helps the people working
on this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna Hislop | Software Development | IBM Tivoli Storage Area Network
Manager | 507-253-7647 | jhislop@us.ibm.com

             James
             Shanks/Raleigh/IB
             M@IBMUS                                                    To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Disabling port 162 use
             04/29/2004 04:06
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

In order to use the Trap Service, you have to be written to use one of the
Microsoft APIs for the Trap Service, such as SnmpMgrGetTrap.  That's the
lowest level API. There are more sophisticated ones to get SNMP V2 traps.

If you aren't written to do this,  but expect to listen on port 162/udp
directly, then only one application on the box can get traps, and it in
turn must forward to all the other trap receivers, else they get nothing.

I don't understand exactly what  "The system being set up wants an
application other than ITSANM/NetView to be picking up the SNMP traps from
port 162." means.  I think you are saying that you have some other
application that you want to put on the box and also get traps.  Well, it
has to be coded to use the Trap Service for this to be simple.    It is
isn't, then you will have trouble making the these apps co-exist.

If the other app can use another port, then trapfrwd in NetView can be
coded to send traps to that port on the same box.  If it can't, and it has
to own 162/udp, then the question is, can it forward what it receives to
another port on the same box?  If not, then you are out of luck.

Do you follow this?  What application are we talking about?  Can you ask
its vendor about its capabilities?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

 Johanna
 Hislop/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
 Sent by:                                                               To
 owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com               nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                                        cc
                                           nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com,
 04/29/2004 02:54 PM                       owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                           Re: [nv-l] Disabling port 162
         Please respond to                 use
               nv-l

Thanks for the info.  I should have known that it was the trap service
using it.  The system being set up wants an application other than
ITSANM/NetView to be picking up the SNMP traps from port 162.  Should both
applications be able to get the traps from the MS Trap Service without
having to make a choice over which application gets it and then has to
forward it to another application or have that application just go without?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna Hislop | Software Development | IBM Tivoli Storage Area Network
Manager | 507-253-7647 | jhislop@us.ibm.com

            James
            Shanks/Raleigh/IB
            M@IBMUS                                                    To
            Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
            owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
            us.ibm.com
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [nv-l] Disabling port 162 use
            04/29/2004 12:33
            PM

            Please respond to
                  nv-l

Actually, it isn't. Not by default any way. The Microsoft Trap Service is.
And NetView's trapd uses an API to get traps from the Service.  Any other
well-behaved MS app can do the same thing.  NetView started using the Trap
Service back in Version 6, so that other apps could be installed on the
same Windows box and get traps too.  So normally there is no good reason to
alter that.

But if you must, you can make him stop using the MS Trap Service and then
listen on any other port you choose by editing the Registry.
And this isn't recommended though possible.

Is this really what you want to do?    Why?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Johanna Hislop/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                     nv-l@lists.us.ibm.co
04/29/2004 01:17 PM                                  m
                                                                       cc

                   nv-l                              [nv-l] Disabling
                                                     port 162 use

How can I set up NetView 7.3 for Windows to not listen on port 162?

Thanks