Re: [nv-l] Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovery
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:18:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:26:44 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Please see inserted comments.
Cheers,
Jane

Meyos Yemveng wrote:

Hi Folks,
I would like to clarify some discovery issues
1- I want to limit Netview to only discover what I have in the seed file
Q1: do I need to specify what IP range not to discover again? !102.105.123.*

You need to turn off automatic discovery if you really want to limit discovery to what is in the seedfile. If you have a Unix NetView, you want Options -> Topology/Status Polling -> and untick the "Discover New Nodes" box. When you do this, wildcard entries in your seedfile are irrelevant - ALL wildcards - includes and excludes. The only things NetView will discover will be explicit seedfile entries like 1.2.3.4 or fred.bloggs.com. Nothing with * ? or ranges with hyphens, will be discovered. This may not be the behaviour you want!

Q2: What should I Do

If you don't have too many nodes that you want to discover and you are prepared to hand-maintain your seedfile, then do as above. If you don't want to create an explicit entry for each node you want to find then you need to turn auto-discovery back ON and find a combination of inclusion and exclusiion wildcard entries for your seedfile that achieves the desired effect. Have you looked at the @OID style of seedfile entry to limit discovery to specific types of SNMP agent? That can be very powerful for preventing discovery of nodes.

Q3- I want to prevent unwanted Nodes to be discovered such as Nodes detected by ICMP and SNMP Ping sweeps and SNMP Cold/Warm start Traps ?

Doesn't matter what the polling mechanism is - if the seedfile permits it - it gets discovered; otherwise it doesn't.

Q4- Any other suggestions?

You might look at taking the NetView for Unix for Administrators class (or the Windows version if your NetView is Win based). We spend the best part of a day on understanding discovery / seedfiles / location.conf / etc.

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"

Post your free ad now! *Yahoo! Canada Personals* <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>