Re: [nv-l] Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovery
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 17:41:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 May 2004 17:50:34 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Please see my comments...
Cheers,
Jane

Meyos Yemveng wrote:

Thanks Folks,
More QUestions
Q1: Let's say myy seed file have the following two entries: *node1.mydonaine.com #IP=192.168.15.12*
*!192.168.15* #Do not discover these IP range*

Would my node1 be discovered?

Yes - explicit entries always override any ranges.

Q2: Best practice Advice on Discovery. - Should you control your discovery via the seed file content (@limit_discovery)? - Should you a combination of sedd file entries and IP restrictions while allowing auto-discovery?
- What wold you suggest for a network of Servers and Routers?

This is my personal feeling on discover....
Leave auto-discovery ON.
Control discovery with entries in seedfiles. Especially if you just want to discover networking kit, I like the @OID syntax. For example, if I get all my networking kit from Cisco an entry like:
@OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.*
permits discovery of enything that responds to SNMP AND has an OID in Cisco's enterprise (the "9" above is Cisco's OID). The corollary to any wildcard in the seedfile is to PROHIBIT discovery of anything that is not either listed explicitly or matches a wildcard range. Thus all those nasty PCs with the Microsoft SNMP agent installed, may get polled by NetView but they will come back with an OID that starts .1.3.6.1.4.1.311...... so discovery is prevented.

*/Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>/* wrote:

    Please see inserted comments.
    Cheers,
    Jane

    Meyos Yemveng wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    > I would like to clarify some discovery issues
    > 1- I want to limit Netview to only discover what I have in the
    seed file
    > Q1: do I need to specify what IP range not to discover again?
    > !102.105.123.*

    You need to turn off automatic discovery if you really want to limit
    discovery to what is in the seedfile. If you have a Unix NetView, you
    want Options -> Topology/Status Polling -> and untick the
    "Discover New
    Nodes" box. When you do this, wildcard entries in your seedfile are
    irrelevant - ALL wildcards - includes and excludes. The only things
    NetView will discover will be explicit seedfile entries like
    1.2.3.4 or
    fred.bloggs.com. Nothing with * ? or ranges with hyphens, will be
    discovered. This may not be the be! haviour you want!

    > Q2: What should I Do

    If you don't have too many nodes that you want to discover and you
    are
    prepared to hand-maintain your seedfile, then do as above. If you
    don't
    want to create an explicit entry for each node you want to find
    then you
    need to turn auto-discovery back ON and find a combination of
    inclusion
    and exclusiion wildcard entries for your seedfile that achieves the
    desired effect. Have you looked at the @OID style of seedfile
    entry to
    limit discovery to specific types of SNMP agent? That can be very
    powerful for preventing discovery of nodes.

    > Q3- I want to prevent unwanted Nodes to be discovered such as Nodes
    > detected by ICMP and SNMP Ping sweeps and SNMP Cold/Warm start
    Traps ?

    Doesn't matter what the polling mechanism is - if the seedfile
    permits
    it - it gets discovered; otherwise it doesn't.

    > Q4- Any other suggestions?

    You might l! ook at taking the NetView for Unix for Administrators
    class
    (or the Windows version if your NetView is Win based). We spend the
    best part of a day on understanding discovery / seedfiles /
    location.conf / etc.

    > Thank You,
    > Meyos
    > "ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"

    > Post your free ad now! *Yahoo! Canada Personals*

-- Tivoli Certified Consultant & Instructor
    Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
    Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry . All rights reserved.

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"

Post your free ad now! *Yahoo! Canada Personals* <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>