Re: [nv-l] SNMV V3

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMV V3
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:54:18 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:05:04 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi James,
I assume the release notes you refer to here is the readme.html with the Fixpack?? I can't see any mention of SNMP V2/V3 support or reference to the SNMP Research plugin. Is this hook really in 714 FP1? Am I looking at the wrong readme?

Thanks,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

NetView only queries agents in SNMP V1 format, even when it asks for SNMPV2 data. Only the web client MIB browser uses actual SNMP V2 format, and even then only if you select it. None of the standard NetView processes do. And natively NetView has no support at all for SNMP V3, period. So remote agents must respond to SNMP V1 to be useful.

However, with NetView 7.1.4 FixPack1 comes support for a third-party product, the SNMP Research agent, which you may purchase separately, which acts as a proxy for NetView. See the 7.1.4 FixPack1 Release Notes. You can find out about the agent at http://www.snmp.com/products/snmpsecpack.html

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

*Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/11/2004 03:08 PM
Please respond to

        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
        [nv-l] SNMV V3

Hi list,

Does NetView for AIX 7.1.4 support SNMP V3 agents ? I am aware that thew
NV server must use the V1 version of the snmpd daemon, but does it apply
also for other servers, whatever the OS ?

Thanks.

Mario