RE: [nv-l] Node Status after Discovery

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Node Status after Discovery
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:22:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:33:32 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

As James Shanks stated in another memo, are you talking about the SmartSet icons or the icons of the objects in the SmartSet?  It makes a difference.  He explained the initial Unknown state of SmartsSets so I'll assume you are talking about the icons shown in the smartest.

As to your specific questions.

Q1: Any Ideas?

I've discovered that sometimes you have to set the Unknown status node (blue) to Unmanaged then Managed for NetView to properly learn its state and properly propagate that state to all the icons for the node.  Further, nodes will be discover unmanaged if marked as such in the oid_to_type entry or gets caught by one of the default entries in the case of OID not found.  Or if the setting for a group in the SNMP configuration causes it.    Cisco CDP and Loadhosts are may affect the Unmanged state.  Nodes beyond the periphery of your discovery scope also will be set Unmanaged.

There are a number of other cases involving Unknown status discussed in the Admin Guide.  Read it carefully.  Download a PDF copy from the IBM Tivoli web site and you can use Acrobat Reader to scan it much more efficiently than using the index.

Q2: Where ? in what file do one check or uncheck "discover as unmanaged status"?

It's on the Options à SNMP Configuration menu option and applies per entry or summary entry for new discoveries.

Q3: Is deleting All log files (all files in the /log directory) when clearing the DBase be an Issue?

Log files should have nothing to do with it but truly "clearing" the database does.  Clearing the database sets you back to square one on the NetView topology game.  Normal maintenance commands (ovtopofix and ovmapcount) don't.

  Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE
301-903-0057