[nv-l] trapd.conf and 40 character trap name length

To: "Nv-L (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] trapd.conf and 40 character trap name length
From: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:18:16 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:48:22 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

NetView 7.1.3 AIX 4.3.3

Dell has a product called

Dell OpenManage Connection for Tivoli TME 10 Netview for AIX, AIX, English, Multi System, v. 1.4, A00 dated 3/27/2002

Basically it loads the MIBS and trap configuration for the Dell Openmanage applications into NetView using a shell script. The nice thing is all of the MIBS are in one location and the trap configuration is already done. It’s one stop shopping for loading Dell SNMP information.

Here is the issue I had. After running the script everything appeared to be OK. I was doing some testing and attempted to restart the daemons. Trapd failed to come back up and I got this message:

[/usr/OV/bin]>ovstart trapd

 object manager name: trapd

 behavior:            OVs_WELL_BEHAVED

 state:               FAILED

 PID:                 30922

 last message:        trapd.conf file not loaded because trap name length [41] exceeds maximum size permitted of 40

  in line #14149 of "/usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf":

dmtfMotherboardPhysicalDeviceStatusChange {.1.3.6.1.4.1.412.2.4.6} 6 2 a 1 0 "Status Events".

 exit status:         -

After looking in the /usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf I saw that there were 42 traps loaded that exceeded 40 characters in the trap name. I had to manually delete the traps from the trapd.conf before I could get the trapd daemon to start.

Has anyone else had this issue? Was my solution in editing the trapd.conf an acceptable solution?

I am going to open a ticket with Dell and let them know about the trouble.

Thanks,

Scott Bursik