Re: [nv-l] polling daemon problems

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] polling daemon problems
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:51:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:02:12 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Sounds like you have an xxmap problem, since he would be the one updating the GUI for nvotChangeVertexStatus( ).  He works in tandem with gtmd.  gtmd gets the call, updated the database, and xxmap should change the status on the GUI, just like ipmap does for netmon.
They both have to be running for this stuff to work.  I would be checking on that before I did anything else.  If xxmap is not starting you can restart from the GUI Tools menu.  And start looking for core files from one of these two.  But if you find any, you'll probably have to call Support and open a problem.  These programming interfaces are not popular and very few people use them.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

jason.ctr.alburger@faa.gov
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/11/2004 10:01 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] polling daemon problems

RH 7.2, NV 7.1.3 + FixPack 2

Hello all,

I'm polling a handful of MIBs on different boxes with custom built polling
daemons.  I've custom built topology icons under some nodes to represent
these MIBs and use the polling daemons to control the status of the icons.
I have a myriad of problems with my snmp polling daemons - so here goes:

1.) All works as it should for about 15 minutes after ovstop/ovstart.

2.) After about 15 minutes, calls to nvotChangeVertexStatus( ) in the
polling daemon still return a NVOT_SUCCESS return code but the color of the
icon on the map associated with the nvotChangeVertexStatus( ) call no
longer changes.

3.) Once this happens, I've performed ovstop/ovstart on that particular
polling daemon which then hangs in the nvotInit( ) call - it just never
returns.

4.) I then close the NetView GUI and restart it.  It is then
"synchronizing" forever.

5.) I then have trouble closing the GUI and often get a core file -->
/usr/OV/PD/cores/ovspmd/core

5.) I can only get things to work again by killing the GUI and performing
ovstop/ovstart.

I've debugged the polling daemon and it looks like the parameters I'm
passing to the NetView calls are always OK.  What else could the problem
be?

Jason Alburger
609-485-7225
CPDLC Engineer