RE: [nv-l] FW: event correlation in NetView (7.1.3)

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] FW: event correlation in NetView (7.1.3)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:23:53 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:33:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

James is being modest. Some of the best documentation of Netview ruleset capabilities is in the archives of this listserver under his byline. A lot of event correlation has been done over the years using Netview rulesets.  Most of what people have asked for help with, however, is basic down/up correlation, filtering for notification purposes, etc. Any intelligence as to the importance of events must be supplied by the customer. You look at what is flowing through the events display and you decide what to do about it.

Netview can look ahead a bit, that is, it can wait for a clearing event before continuing with actions on an event. But it cannot look backwards, unless you write something down for checking in the future. The TEC's engine is good at looking backwards for causal events.

For determining cause and effect relationships between Down events, the Router Fault Isolator component of Netview does a pretty good job from a layer 3 standpoint by simply suppressing the events about downstream nodes so they don't have to be correlated. For cause and effect of Down events from a layer 2 standpoint, the add-on product Switch Analyzer is what is provided.

And when I say Down events, I mean netmon's polling status results. Not traps from devices. So it applies to devices of all types.
For vendor traps, you can use Netview rulesets to filter and to take actions, but you would have to provide the intelligence.  Many customers do this without any Ciscoworks or TEC at all.  If you already have DFM, you might want to use it for your Cisco devices, but still use Netview for filtering and acting on network status events in general. If you are considering whether to buy DFM in addition to Netview, you will need to do a little more cost/benefit analysis.

I know some of you out there are using DFM. Chime in...

Detroit

"Freeman, Michael" <mfreeman@wamnetgov.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/14/2004 12:17 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] FW: event correlation in NetView (7.1.3)

Thanks I'll take a look at that. Anyone else have any feedback?