Re: [nv-l] MLM Questions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM Questions
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:49:53 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:23:57 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
netmon -a 51
netmon -a 102
show you what nodes / interfaces are managed by what MLMs. Look in /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace.
Cheers,
Jane

Leslie Clark wrote:

There are 'netmon -a' commands that cause netmon to dump to netmon.trace a list of what has been offloaded to what MLMs for status polling. The various '-a' options are documented somewhere now - the manpage for netmon maybe? Also remember that you can assign nodes to the MLMs beyond what they discover. I believe that if a node is assigned to the MLM for status, that includes all of the interfaces on that node as they are known to the Netview database. You can see that in the netmon.trace when you do that dump. And when the MLM sends a status change trap (which is configured in trapd.conf to logonly or don't log or display, I forget which), it triggers a 'fake' netmon-type status change trap, so I would expect normal propogation and correlation to take place regardless of whether the information came from the MLM or netmon.

You should plan on using the Smartset Editor to modify the scope of the MLMs to cover the subnets you need them to cover. Special smartsets are created for you for that purpose when you demandpoll an MLM. You should also plan on having Netview do the discovery rather than relying on the MLMs.

Detroit

*Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/21/2004 04:00 PM
Please respond to

        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
        Re: [nv-l] MLM Questions

I think I tested this one in the past (though it may have changed...). From memory, MLM doesn't discover or poll interfaces that are not in
the same subnet as his "primary" interface.  Can't remember how he
decided which interface to use if he had several, but my memory is that
it really only worked on one interface.

If you do further testing, please report the outcome back here!!

Cheers,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

> I don't mean to be rude, Scott, but if you are testing, then whom
> would be better able to answer those questions than you?  Nothing like
> testing the code yourself to become the expert.    Both those
> scenarios are a bit off the norm for me and for anyone else I know.
>  Even the MLM code jockey here said he wasn't sure about either one,
> and the second is really about netmon.   But our best guess on both is
> negative.  We could be wrong, however, so go ahead, test!
>

> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

> *"Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>*
> Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
>
> 06/21/2004 11:22 AM
> Please respond to
> nv-l

>                  "Nv-L (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
> cc
> > Subject
>                  [nv-l] MLM Questions
>

> AIX 4.3.3 NetView 7.1.3 FP2
>

> I have several MLM's that I am testing with. One is AIX and the others are > NT. I have a couple of questions about MLM functionality that I didn't see
> covered in the manual although I may have overlooked it.
>
> 1.  If the MLM has multiple interfaces how will the MLM manage its
> networks?
> Will it discover only one subnet and if so how do you determine which
> interface the MLM will bind to? Or will it discover all subnets it has
> interfaces for?
>
> 2.  If an MLM is polling a subnet and a node in that subnet has 2
> interfaces, one on the network with the MLM and another that isn't managed > by the MLM but NetView manages it, will NetView correlate the mlm detected
> down event and a NetView Interface Down event into a Node Down event?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Scott Bursik
> PBSG

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565