Re: [nv-l] Event browser hangs

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Event browser hangs
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:46:38 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:00:02 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

To keep it simple for my customers, and to always be as thorough as necessary, I recommend the following when making changes to rulesets:
1) Close all events displays (file..exit on the control desk menu for the events displays)
2) ovstop nvcorrd nvserverd actionsvr  (this is a good time to check netstat -a and see that everything has 'drained')
3) ovstart
4) restart the events display by dragging Events off the toolbar onto the Control Desk (be sure nothing on the map is selected)

This is the brute force, works-every-time approach, but does not affect monitoring or the map. In theory you don't always need to do all of this, but when something gets hung up, you don't know whether it is caused by the change you made or the process of refreshing it. This approach narrows it down, which in my case ends up being faster in the long run.

If I am just adding/deleting a background ruleset by modifying /usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation, then I will cheat and just stop/start actionsvr.

Detroit

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/22/2004 11:47 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Event browser hangs

A1.  Run netstat -a.   Do you see any backed up sockets belonging to nvcorrd? If so, do you have any rulesets running in ESE.automation?  If so, do they  Forward nodes in them?  If not, what do your custom rulesets do?

A2.  Not sure what you are asking because the question is not specific enough.  You can always ovstop some particular daemons and restart them.  You can shutdown nvcorrd (ovstop nvcorrd) which will stop the rulesets, nvserverd, and actionsvr.  But you have to close the event windows manually or you will see a pop-up message that nvserverd is not running.  If you like, however, you can "OK" that message, and levae the windows open.  When you then do ovstart to restart all the stopped daemons, and the reconnection will happen automatically after a minute or so.  You'll see another pop-up that the reconnection has occurred.  But any events that came in while the daemons were down is lost.   And any correlation you were doing with old events is gone too.

A3. No.  Rulesets are loaded into memory when read by nvcorrd.  There is no way to modify the in-memory array nvcorrd has built when he loaded them.   You have to close the event windows using the old copy and restart them to get the new copy.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/22/2004 11:30 AM
Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Event browser hangs

Hi Folks,
NV 7.1.3 Solaris 9, FP2
I have been witnessing my event browser hanging recently ..
I have some Dynamic Workspaces defined and some are using Rulesets.

Q1: Any Idea?
Q2: How can I recycle the event processors (traps, NV events, Threshold, correlated events, etc...) without having to shut down my Server?.

Q3: If I modify an existing ruleset, is the change automatically in effect or I have to stop and start my server?

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"