Re: [nv-l] isLocation

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] isLocation
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:02:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:14:09 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

No. The location objects do not have a status field, and there is no event when they change color. You can see what properties a Location has by selecting one and doing Tools...Display Object Info. I have been asked about that capability before.  The color is based on the propogation of the status of the objects in it. So if you are looking for events to trigger automation or notification, it will have to be the events about the contents of the location, not the location itself.

Your approach to grouping items in Locations is really intended for graphical management, and there are limits that you should take care to follow. They are detailed in the Admin Guide in the cut-and-paste discussions on map segmentation.

 Have you tried to do the same thing with the Smartset editor? When you need to deal with devices that are not routers, or which only show up inside separate networks or segments, Smartsets are the answer. There you can make a list of unlike, unrelated objects, and see them all together. They are really useful for operators. With Smartsets you have a chance of basing notification on membership. A ruleset can listen for certain events, then check to see if they are from or about a device that is a member of a certain smartset and take the desired action. It cannot check for membership in a  Location.

Detroit

Mahesh Tailor <mahesh.tailor@network.carilion.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/22/2004 10:19 AM
Please respond to

NetView User List <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] isLocation

Hello,

Running NetView 7.1.3fp2 on Redhat AS 2.1.

I added a Site symbol and then put into it all the devices and networks
that belong to that site.  Now, I was wondering if there is any way to
get the status of this added symbol instead of the individual components
at the site?

Thanks,

Mahesh