RE: [nv-l] Multiple map and events windows question

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Multiple map and events windows question
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:25:20 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:56:54 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Another view is that OVXECHO and OVXBEEP are not really implemented in NetView but provided as samples/tools in extension of X-Windows.  Nothing in the product function exploits these two toys (tools).  In the Windows version of NetView the similar tool provided is "NVPLAY" which will open an alarm window and play a .WAV file.

The other advantage you get using an X-console is that your userid is easily available at the Unix system.  To find out who is logged onto the Web Console is a little harder. (Browser sessions may not count here, I avoid them.)

·       The userids and IP addresses are available in /usr/OV/www/logs/yyyy-mm-dd.request.log files.
·       Remote execution facilities (REXEC, SSH) will allow you to execute procedures at a Windows workstation. A simple execution of "Net Send 'Hello World'" at a windows workstation will send a note to everyone on the domain.  "Net send userid 'Hello World'" will hit one machine.

Bill Evans

Tivoli NetView Support for DOE

301-903-0057