Re: [nv-l] How to use ifalias as interface label?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to use ifalias as interface label?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:27:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:40:33 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

UNIX or Windows?  You'll get more help if you remember to say what platform you have.

But the answer to your first question is basically, "no" unless you want to rename all the interfaces manually.  Your global choices for the map are IP address,  physical address, or SNMP Interface name, the default.  Other than that you can change individual names on the read-write map.  I don't know of a command line utility that would do that.

There is also no way I know of to get trapd to display the ifdesc as an ifalias.  He displays what he gets.   If you really wanted to, you could write a script to issue do an snmpget of the ifalias when the trap is received, and then issue a new trap with the ifalias in it, but that seems like a great deal of work, no matter what platform you are on.    I don't have any samples.

Another alternative might just be to have the operator run the MIB browser and query the device for it's ifalias when he or she needs it.

On UNIX you can do that from the event card or from Options --> Additional Actions  right from the Events GUI itself.
On Windows, you have to use a two-step process.  First you pull down the Event menu in the Event Browser and select "Show Node on Map".  The you go to the map, where the node will be highlighted, and pull down Tools -> MIB -> Browser SNMP V1.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Alaa Farrag" <alaahelmy1@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

08/17/2004 04:50 AM
Please respond to

cc
Subject
[nv-l] How to use ifalias as interface label?

Dear all,

Is there a way to make netview uses the ifalias as an interface label ?
Also what about making the netview resolves the ifdescr argument in the cisco linkdown trap to the ifalias for this interface?
if this needs scripting could you give guide lines.

thanks for your help

Alaa Farrag