Fw: [nv-l] SNMP v2c

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Fw: [nv-l] SNMP v2c
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:42:28 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:58:36 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

OK, I've spoken with the Level 2 guy handling this PMR (80103,487,000) and I think we are now on the same wavelength.

The Level 2 guy told me you are having a problem with some V2 traps showing up in the NetView trapd.log as invalid but you don't know why.

My suggestion is that you set the "hex dump all packets" option on trapd and turn on the trapd.trace.
The hex dump option makes trapd run with the "-x" operand so you can check it with "ps -ef | grep trapd".  When you see that the -x is there, then you can turn on the trapd trace with "trapd -T".   Then when your suspect SNMP V2 trap arrives, the trace file will show the hex version of the incoming V2 trap, plus the hex version of the SNMP v1 trap we translated it into, and if, possible a message about what we think is wrong with the trap.  That level of detail was added in 7.1 4 FixPack1 and 7.1.3 FixPack 3.   It should help you understand what is wrong with the trap.  If you are still confused, collect the trace data, and send it to the Level 2 guy for analysis.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

----- Forwarded by James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM on 08/17/2004 12:36 PM -----
James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM

08/17/2004 10:34 AM

"Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] SNMP v2cLink

YES!!!! I mean exactly that.  NetView for UNIX can receive and process SNMP V2c traps just exactly like it does SNMP V1 traps.
The reason is that when an SNMP V2c  trap is received, trapd checks it for validity, and if valid, it generates an SNMP V1 duplicate and puts that on its queue to process, dropping the original V2 one, so all applications down the line see the same pdu structure they always have.

Thus you can format SNMP V2 traps in trapd conf, use them in rulesets, and so on.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>

08/17/2004 10:28 AM

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] SNMP v2c

PMR # 80103 branch 487

Also James, when you write "NetView for UNIX can receive SNMP V2 traps", you mean Netview can process v2 traps just like it can v1 traps, right?

Fawad