Re: [nv-l] Teach me to fish

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Teach me to fish
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:08:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:20:55 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Steve,
Increase your loglevel to 3(debug, I think) and increase the size of
the file, both in the snmpd.conf file. Then restart snmp and watch
the log. I should think you should get some good information from
that.

Paul

Stamper, Steve wrote:

I've got a rather strange problem and hopefully someone can give me a clue where to start digging. I have an AIX 5.1 system that has the NetView agent installed and working just fine. The problem is that I am constantly (6-7 per minute) getting traps (RPT below) from this server. I have run TCPDUMP (external and loopback) and verified that queries with the wrong community string are NOT coming in - hence it something internal to the box. I have disabled the NetView agent and the problem continues. I have disabled SNMP and of course it stops. Hence it's something IN the box.
Any idea how I can start digging into this problem?

Thanks
Steve

=== TRAP.RPT =========================================================
DESCRIPTION : Mon Aug 23 08:38:53 2004 puxbmra1        A IBM Incorrect
         Community Name (authenticationFailure Trap)
NOTES       :
INFO        :
                HOSTNAME   : puxbmra1
                ENTERPRISE : ibm 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.1.1.3
                GENERIC    : 4
                SPECIFIC   : 0
                LOGGEDTIME : 08/23/04 08:38:53
                SEVERITY   : Warning