Re: [nv-l] Servmon question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Servmon question
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:14:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:27:06 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Pritesh,
I think netmon and servmon will do exactly as you want. netmon discovers the nodes and generates the Interface(s) Added and Node Added events. servmon DOES note these. I suspect there will not be an instantaneous servmon poll of the new device but you control the servmon discovery interval (it's the new entries under Options - > SNMP Polling). I am told that you should not set the discovery poll interval to less than 1 hour.

When the next servmon discovery poll runs, whatever services are configured in /usr/OV/conf/servmon.conf for discovery, these services will be discovery-polled on all appropriate nodes, including the newly added one. The next-to-last field in a servmon.conf entry specifies which discovered nodes in your object database should be tested for a particular service - the default entries are shipped with "*" which means test everything. (Note this could be VERY intensive if you have a huge object database).

If you want to see what is happening, look at /usr/OV/log/servmon.log.

Cheers,
Jane
Pritesh Jewan wrote:

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the feedback.

What I am actually looking to do(for a customer) is use servmon to do
the daily discovery and the status polling. However, the customers needs
to check the status of a particular service when new nodes are
discovered. So I wanted to automate the once of discovery when a node
added trap is received from netmon through the command line to run the
service discovery on the particular node in question immediately when it
is added, then let the normal servmon process continue as is. The
release notes for 7.1.4 does state that the servmon daemon reacts upon
Node Added traps. Do you know if this implies that it will discover
services on the node for which the Node Added trap is received? I will
test this but just wanted to know if any else understands the behavior?

Regards
Pritesh