Re: [nv-l] Traps not converting to variables

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Traps not converting to variables
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 05:55:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:34:22 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Chris,
I think you should provide an example of what you are talking about so that we are all on the same page. What does your trapd.conf entry for one of these particular traps say and what does the log entry say? What MIB value are you expecting that you don't see? Show us what's missing. That way it's easier for the rest of us to see your problem and respond more exactly. As someone who works with trapd all the time, I can interpret what I think you are saying but I am only guessing.

I suspect from your statements so far that the real problem is that you are expecting more formatting than what the code provides. trapd only formats varbinds according to what is in trapd.conf, and trapd.conf only gets what the addtrap statement from mib2trap tells it to. And mib2trap only formats the TRAP-TYPE or NOTIFICATION-TYPE construct in the MIB. It provides no other translation beyond that. To put it another way, mib2trap provides only default formatting, not the best formatting. If it's not adequate, then you have to change it. And the man page for trapd.conf will show you the available options.

If the trap contains enumerated values, for example, it will be up to you to provide a translation. If some varbind, say the sixth ($6) for example, contains an integer value from 0 to 3 which has a meaning like operational state (where 0 means "uninitialized', and 1 is "good", 2 "marginal", and 3 is "critical"), all that $6 will give you is the actual numeric value that was sent, say "2". If it's not obvious what that means, then you have to change the log message to be more meaningful to your operators. One example might be "Operational state = $2, where 0=uninitialized, 1=good, 2=marginal, 3=critical".

That's the best method. There is also a file, oid_to_label, which you can play around with to provide substitution of enumerated values. There's no help on that, other than the comments in the file, because it has fallen into disuse. The reason is that the text substitution is only for the message you see in trapd.log and the event windows. The contents of the trap, the integer, remains a simple integer. So if you use that variable in a ruleset and automate on it, you must match the integer. If you pass it to TEC, you will have to provide your own translation again in the slot map.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>

          "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          10/01/04 10:00 AM
          Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Traps not converting to variables

greetings all.

A question. I have loaded a snmpV1 mib into netview and ran the mib2trap against it. Everything loads fine and all the traps are created and inserted into the trapd.conf.

The issue comes that when the trap occurs it does not convert from the raw values (integers) to the variables defined for those integers in the actual mib file. (Object-type)

I have this with basically all traps. None of the traps coming in are converting from the raw integer value to the textual variable of that integer.

Has anyone seen this before?

-Chris Petrina

service._______________________________________________________________

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this

transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.

GIF image