RE: [nv-l] how does netmon interact with the ARP cache?

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] how does netmon interact with the ARP cache?
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:52:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:03:27 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The arp cache will only store the mac address of the local router that is forwarding packets on behalf of the IP address you are interested. The real mac address is not present in the arp table on the router (unless by coincidence, the router has another interface into the subnet where the device actually resides). I believe the same would be true for the netview box’s arp cache – it’s going to reflect the mac address of the device local to the NetView server (such as the local router) that can reach the end device IP address.

Short answer: I don’t think arp cache has anything to do with it. I could be wrong.