Re: [nv-l] Upgrade OS and NetView Questions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Upgrade OS and NetView Questions
From: syoung@westpac.com.au
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:13:43 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:23:46 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Jane,

Do the Fixpacks for 7.1.4 fix this snmpCollect problem or do we need to turn it off ourselves. We have a very large network and I think this could cause us problems if we upgrade from 7.1.3.

Thanks,
Sue

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/19/2004 04:47 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Upgrade OS and NetView Questions

Watch out when you go from NetView 7.1.3 -> 4.  There are a bunch of
snmpCollect entries that get activated by default and you could suddenly
end up with much more data polling than you expect, along with a huge
snmpCollect database.

Other gotcha is that there is an extra AIX pre-req needed for NetView
7.1.x when you go to AIX 5.x - you need X11.compat (X11R5) package
installed.

Also with NV 7.1.4 make sure that ulimit -n is NOT unlimited - set to 32767.

Problems if you want to install MLMs on AIX 5.x - see recent nv-l append
(easy fix).

Cheers,
Jane

Bursik, Scott {PBSG} wrote:

>Group,
>
>I am currently running NetView 7.1.3 on AIX 4.3.3. I want to do the
>following:
>
>1. Update the OS from AIC 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2
>2. Update NetView from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4
>3. Apply 7.1.4 SP1
>
>Have any of you experienced any gotchas during these steps? I know that the
>SNMP agent on AIX 5.2 is SNMPv3 by default. I am assuming that I will need
>to convert the SNMP agent back to V1 with the snmpv3_ssw -1 command.
>
>Is this order the best way to do it or would another order of the steps be
>better. I am going to do this in a phased approach to make sure that none of
>process break along the way.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Scott Bursik

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights reserved.

WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please contact us immediately.

It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form of financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell, any security. We recommend that you seek your own independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment decision.

Westpac is a company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Westpac is regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the United Kingdom as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in United States of America as a federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN is 33 007 457 141.