Re: [nv-l] TDW Database creation

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TDW Database creation
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:41:28 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:42:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I can understand why you might want to use DMS for the TWH_CDW and TWH_MART databases because of the large volume of data their tables might have. However the NetView warehouse database should be small in comparison. The exception might be if you are attempting to store availability and performance data for all the nodes your NetView server is managing. The NetView warehouse database was originally designed with the idea that only critical devices, those of most interest in reports because of their critical nature to the enterprise as a whole, would be the nodes where data is collected. Examples would be core routers, mail servers, ftp servers, etc etc, but not every single end workstation in the network. In case where you chose to store everything you possibly can in the NetView warehouse database, your real performance problems will come when you run the NetView "ANM" and "AN1" ETLs, which you won't be able to optimise by choosing DMS over SMS because there is a lot of processing which is not database related in some parts.

The DMS advantages with I/O efficiency aren't as important with small tables. I would have thought the flexibility of a tablespace that grows automatically when needed would be of more importance for this particular database. Certainly in the case where temporary table spaces are used (in many cases), SMS has the upper hand because they shrink and grow as needed and thus would reduce the possibility of running out of temporary space during execution.

As of 7.1.4, the NetView warehouse database schema scripts were embedded within the nv_serverconnconfig.jar file (I believe). So the scripts are no longer available to be edited.

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean when you say it puts the database structure in the home file system. On my DB2 servers, I setup a separate file system called /db (AIX). I then create the DB2 instance and configure it to be stored in the /db file system. Associated with a DB2 instance is a instance owner, in my case "db2admin". This is a userid created within AIX. So the "home" directory for my instance user ends up being /db/db2admin. Now when I go to create a database within this instance (automatic chosen since I only have one instance), it is placed within the /db file system, in particular, within the /db/db2admin/db2admin/NODE0000/ directory. When you use serversetup to create the NetView warehouse database, it also automatically places the database in the directory structure that is setup for my DB2 instance.

Hope this helps in some way.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/18/2004 09:58 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] TDW  Database creation

We are using NV 7.1.4 FP 1 on AIX 5.2

throiugh researching issues with TDW, we have found that the TDW GUI installation uses SMS (System Management Storage) and not DMS (Database Management Storage)  Much less efficient.  Also it places the database structure in the home file system, we have a specific file structure system we want to use.   But since I have no where to add or change where the database writes to, I cannot change it to optimize the performance of our AIX boxes and how we have them created and defined specifically for the NETVIEW TDW Operational database.

Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/17/2004 10:50 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] TDW  Database creation

The NetView warehouse database is a DB2 based database. Whether your database server is remote or local with respect to the NetView Server, you still need to have a DB2 instance created locally. It is the DB2 instance that controls where the databases (all of them) are stored, not the tdwdaemon GUI config panel or the underlying database schema scripts.

Optimization of the entire instance or individual databases can be performed after the database is created. What kind of optimization were you talking about that might need you to alter the database schema scripts ?

What exactly do you find limiting about the setup GUI ? What version of NetView are you using ? What platform ?

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/17/2004 10:16 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] TDW  Database creation

Greetings all,

Have a question on the TDWDAEMON set up.

The GUI setup is very limiting in the creation of the Netview Operational database for TDW.   Is there a way that I can create the database myself and then start the tdwdaemon?

Which schema and/or scripts are being called when the GUI executes.

The setup installs the database in the home directory of the db user.  There is no optimizing of the database.
We do not give much space in the home directory file structure, and we have specific file tructures for databases that we would like to use.

-Thank you

CHris Petrina

service._______________________________________________________________

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.