RE: [nv-l] vpxdTrap

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] vpxdTrap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:58:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:59:48 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, Drew, you'd probably have to get a hexdump of the incoming trap in a trapd.trace, and post it here (or open a problem send it to IBM Support), for me to be sure, but looking at the output message, I'd say offhand that the agent is sending the trap like this:

Enterprise 1.3.6.1.4.1
generic 6
specific 6876

which is why your definition isn't formatting the trap.

trapd.conf already has definitions for 1.3.6.1.4.1 (called ENTERPRISES)  but they only contain the generic entries for coldStart, warmStart, and so on (0 - 5).
Vendors are supposed to add their vendor number when they send unique traps.   You could always try adding an entry , say ENTERPRISE6 for generic 6 and specific 6876 and see whether that formats correctly.  This would get you out of your current problem, but it exposes another.

If I'm right about this, then there is a bug here, either in what vmware is sending, or in how trapd is reading it.    If you like, NetView support can help you determine which, but you'll have to open that problem and send the trace.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group