RE: [nv-l] Copying some conf. files from a Netview server to anot her

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Copying some conf. files from a Netview server to anot her
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:22:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:23:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The hot backup capability is new in the history of NetView.  The procedure in the script I posted has been working since at least NetView 5.  Note that there are two portions to the transfer; the configuration and the databases.  Hot backup addresses the databases and does pretty much what my script does on the database side.  It does not mention the configuration directory.

Unfortunately, it's not well documented; it's four pages in the NV 7.1 release notes and not repeated in the 7.1.x release notes. Technical details aren't there either.

To summarize the release notes describing the hot backup, you nvpause/nvresume the master system and ovstop all daemons on the target system.   It's safe, tested and supported by IBM.

In the script I posted earlier; the only thing which needs to be stopped is netmon on the master system. It also requires a full ovstop on the secondary system.  It works, has been used in various forms for a number of years but is neither "tested" by IBM nor is it supported.  For really save copying you can add an ovstop ovtopmd to the procedure before tarring the databases.

Since I'm purely guessing at the function of the supported product, I would imagine that you could replace the heart of my script with the sequence: nvpause; nvhotbackup; tar -cvf /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_conf.tar /usr/OV/conf/*  /usr/OV/www/conf/*; nvresume.

The compression step would then compress the nvhotbackup file along with the conf file to save bandwidth and storage.

The reason for the nvpause and ovstop netmon is to halt action on the databases.  The configuration shouldn't be changing unless you have other administrators changing things.  Even then the interdependencies of indices and data doesn't exist on the /usr/OV/conf files as it does with the databases.

I'm a bit nervous about the hot backup restoration instructions; using TAR to restore the databases in the past has been a problem and you see my procedure uses PAX.  I may have missed something but in the past the use of tar to restore sparse databases has resulted in an explosion of file size.

Final caveat: I am not currently using the script I posted.  I have never used hot backup. I am using the procedure at the heart of the script (ovstop netmon, ovtopofix, ovmapcount, tar the database and configuration, compress and save the files) as part of normal maintenance.  The worst part is the popup telling us that netmon isn't running while ovtopofix is processing.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE
301-903-0057