Re: [nv-l] trap acknowledge

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trap acknowledge
From: Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:43:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:43:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Thanks for your reply and your answer.

To complete my question, I am developping a Netview plug-in for Windows (2K, XP, ...) AND Unix/Linux, and my base version is R7.1.3 (I have to check the compliance with 7.1.4).

Gildas PLOUZENNEC

ALCATEL e-SD Professional Services
gildas.plouzennec@alcatel.fr            +33(0)2 98 14 37 81
professional.services@alcatel.fr        +33(0)2 98 14 30 40

James Shanks wrote:

It would really help when you ask a how-to question if you would mention whether you are using NetView for Windows or NetView for UNIX and at what level on which operating system. The answers can be platform-specific. In this case I can give you a generic answer but a specific one would require knowing what platform you are working on and at what level of NetView exactly.

The short answer to your question is that trap correlation is achieved using rulesets. These are implemented on both UNIX and Windows but the implementation is rather different. It is much more complicated to do on Windows because there is no native ruleset editor, whereas on UNIX there is a graphical editor you can use to build the ruleset. There is extensive documentation on how to do event correlation in the UNIX Administrator's Guide and it is discussed in the Windows User's Guide as well.

Hope this helps

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

*Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/23/2004 05:25 AM
Please respond to

        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
        [nv-l] trap aknowledge

Hi all,

I have a question about trap handling.
How can i manage the trap "correlation" ?
Example : I receive a trap "alarm 10 up", and 10 minutes later, I
receive a trap "alarm 10 down".
In the event browser, is it a possibility to aknowledge the "alarm 10
up", or to remove it ?

Thank you all,