Re: [nv-l] trap acknowledge

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trap acknowledge
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:17:43 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:18:17 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

On UNIX, events can be correlated and resolved -- removed from the event display -- by a ruleset.   There are samples in /usr/OV/conf/rulesets which do just that.  You run that ruleset in an event window rather then the base one, forwardall.rs.  Anyone using the forwardall.rs ruleset will see both events,   If you want to edit an existing ruleset or create a new one, then you can use the graphical editor, nvrsEdit.  All this is discussed in great detail in the NetView for UNIX Admin Guide, Chapter 5.

On Windows all events are written to the ODBC database when received and the browser displays them from there.  Rulesets can be implemented as custom filters on the event browser display.  There is no graphical editor but there are several samples in \usr\ov\conf\rulesets and if you have the latest level of maintenance for 7.1.3 (FixPack FP03) there is a document , Rulesets_on_Windows.readme in \usr\ov\doc  which explains those samples in detail.  To create a new ruleset for  Windows your best bet would to create it first on UNIX, and then port it to Windows, since it is enormously difficult to make a new ruleset  by edit, though it is relatively easy to edit one that you already understand how it works.

I'd start your project on UNIX first, since it is easier to use and understand, and the ruleset implementation on Windows is derived from UNIX.
Good luck.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/23/2004 09:43 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] trap acknowledge

Thanks for your reply and your answer.

To complete my question, I am developping a Netview plug-in for Windows
(2K, XP, ...) AND  Unix/Linux, and my base version is R7.1.3 (I have to
check the compliance with 7.1.4).

Gildas PLOUZENNEC

ALCATEL e-SD Professional Services
gildas.plouzennec@alcatel.fr                                  +33(0)2 98 14 37 81