RE: [nv-l] Interface Events with interface description

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Interface Events with interface description
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:24:31 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:25:20 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

We pass those traps to an external perl script that does this:

$SNMPBUFF    = `/usr/OV/bin/snmpget $TARGET_HOST interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.$TARGET_INDEX`;

Where $TARGET_HOST = the origin of the trap and $TARGET_INDEX is the SNMP instance number. This gets appended to the original trap and prettied up before it gets sent on to TEC using postemsg. Because it takes an SNMP query, which could fail, you’ll want some default values specified so you know if the request is failing. Our trap looks like this when it arrives:

$MSG_TEXT = Threshold Exceeded on prod-backup resource qfe4 Original Message: ifInErrors 10 threshold exceeded (>1.00): 1.68

Hope that helps.