Re: [nv-l] Netview Config Options stored in flat files?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview Config Options stored in flat files?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:00:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:00:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Jason,

I think you may have to back up and tell us more about you ultimately want to achieve. I don't think any of the suggestions so far are what you are looking for, though they be helpful in other ways. We are talking about NetView for UNIX here, right? In that case, usually the ASCII files are for daemon configuration, and not for the maps or other GUI functions except in special cases. The special cases were often added as enhancements after the fact, such as communitynames.conf and location.conf. The original design keeps most of the map information, or cross-daemon information, in the databases for security and accessibility by more than one process.

Generally speaking, polling parameters are kept in the xnmsnmpconf database. There is a mirror file of that database info in /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf, but as the comments in there say, manipulating that file does not alter anything. There is however a command line interface to xnmsnmpconf, which is what is invoked from the map GUI when you do Options --> SNMP Configuration. See the man page on xnmsnmpconf for the command line operands. If all you want to do is manipulate the database without bringing up the entire netview GUI, then just type xnmsnmpconf from the command line and you'll pop the GUI for it alone.

Generally speaking, map parameters are kept in the map database and are specific to each map, so you must have the map open read-write to alter them. Some however are not alterable no matter what you do. The Map layout (bus, star, token ring, etc) for each submap is one of those. It is generally determined by the interface type, which is set in advance of discovery by matching entries in /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type and /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym. After these are changed then I believe you would have to delete and rediscover to objects they belong to, or else the entire NetView database, to get them rebuilt. I don't recommend it, though other have done it, so perhaps they can respond.

There is also the nvmaputil command line interface which will allow some map manipulation but this isn't one of the things it does.

If I haven't answered you questions, then perhaps you can tell us what is the GUI path of the option you are trying to change. that would make it easier to understand what the mechanism is.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Allison, Jason \(JALLISON\)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>"Allison, Jason \(JALLISON\)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>

          "Allison, Jason \(JALLISON\)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          01/05/2005 11:29 AM
          Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Netview Config Options stored in flat files?

I know a number of NetView configuration options are stored in flat ascii files. Im trying to determin if "Map Layout (Automatic)" and "Polling Paramteres" can be configured in ascii files.

Thanks,

Jason Allison

GIF image