Re: [nv-l] Expired ping message in netmon.trace

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Expired ping message in netmon.trace
From: Mike Pearson <pearsom@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:59:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:59:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Dennis:
        This just means that netmon has not received a reply back from the source.  It could mean a number of things.  The best way to find out what had happened to the ping that was sent out is to run sniffer or ethereal and match up the sequence number from the netmon trace with that found in the ethereal/sniffer output.  I have usually found that I do not get a reply back from the node I sent the ping to.  Although I have been suprised at times.
Please note both netmon trace and ethereal/sniffer must be run at the same time.

Regards,
Michael Pearson

Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT Support
Building 660, Office  CC105B;
HWY. 54 & 600 PARK OFFICES DR
Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709
(919) 254-2270
pearsom@us.ibm.com

Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
Ask Tivoli!
http://www.tivoli.com/asktivoli

Demis Gonçalves <demisgc@ig.com.br>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

01/05/2005 11:20 AM
Please respond to

"NV" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Expired ping message in netmon.trace

Hi list, my netview was working till yesterday  afternoon then it stops to polling nodes for status. It works normal for receive  traps and so on, but the netmon seems to be dead. I enabled the netmon trace  with mask 10 (netmon -M 10) and in the file netmon.trace it´s recorded the  following message:

05/01/2005 14:00:02 expired ping to 10.10.0.1 ( )  seqnum = 4001 ident = 4744
05/01/2005 14:00:03 expired ping to 10.10.0.2 ( )  seqnum = 4002 ident = 4744
.
.
.n messages

On the programmer´s reference guide i read about  the option -q number that increase the ICMP queue size for ping. I though that  if i put this parameter in the netmon.lrf and then run ovobjadd it will stop  with the message but the problem goes on.

Does anyone have ideia about how to fix this  problem?

Netview 7.1.4 FP2 - W2K SP4

Thanks in advance,

Demis  Gonçalves
Sr. Support Analyst