Re: [nv-l] DNS Testing Script?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] DNS Testing Script?
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:31:12 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:31:51 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Scott,

Have you thought about setting up a slave DNS running on your NetView server that gets its DNS configurations from the other DNS servers? Another performance suggestion is simply to setup a caching DNS on your NetView server...so that after doing a DNS lookup once, the second time it gets the data locally. Either configuration can improve items dramatically.

I toodk this a step further in the past for very large installations: generate zone files from the NetView database itself. This way I have a name lookup for every device that NetView knows about. (name resolves to a single management interface of device). NetView knows all the interfaces on that device, so it generates zone files for all the interfaces (every interface IP address resolves to same DNS name). Even though I was adding a BIND process to NetView, the CPU usage of NetView went down by a magnitude when every IP address resolved to a DNS name locally.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com