[nv-l] new seedfile with auto discovery

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] new seedfile with auto discovery
From: Allie M Hopkins <allie@lsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:28:06 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:28:49 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I've read MANY archived messages and the manuals about how this is supposed
to work.  I just can't seem to grasp it.

I cleared my map and databases to start my map generation over.  I had lots
of stale, irrelevant data and we just wanted a fresh start.  Previously we
only discovered those things in the seedfile.  This resulted in a huge
seedfile and many devices being left out from lack of communication.  I
want to use negative entries as described in another message in the archive
to exclude everything but what I want.  I turned on auto discovery.  I
started up netview and only those initial seeds I entered - a few key
routers - were discovered.  I have to put the entries in the seed before
they are discovered.

I'm not 100% certain of my steps, so I may have done things in the wrong
order.  For some reason I forgot to pull out the @limit_discovery statement
from the seedfile on initial startup.  I removed it as soon as I realized
it.  I also may have turned on auto discovery AFTER the initial startup as
well.

Will these things affect the discovery?  I really don't want to put every
device in the file again.  Am I missing something or is NetView acting as
designed?  Should I restart automatic map generation again?

Allie M Hopkins