Re: [nv-l] MLM on Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM on Solaris
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:58:13 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:58:47 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Abadir,
Aside from my blushes on Alejandro's comments on my white paper, which hopefully will help you - the Solaris snmpdx is the base SNMP daemon process for the Solaris agent. MLM expects to talk to that agent via snmpdx. Basically MLM has to sit on top of SOME snmp agent.

The other option that I described in the white paper was to abandon the Solaris snmp agent entirely and use net-snmp. That way you get a single base snmp agent and you can then configure MLM to sit on top of the net-snmp agent.
Cheers,
Jane

Abadir Hany-O10544 wrote:

I'm installing a new MLM and we have an issue with the security requirements
and therefore we cannot have snmpdx running on the MLM. However the snmpdx is
running in the existing MLMs

Is it possible that I can configure the MLM to talk to NetView server? When I run
smconfig -h <MLM name>, the window came up but cannot load any of the
configuration tables and the error I got in the lower level window:

Discovering Tivoli NetView agent(s)...
WARNING: Tivoli NetView agent(s) not found.
Community name could be invalid for this Name
or IP Address.

Regards!
Hany Abadir

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565