RE: [nv-l] Mibs Unable to Load!

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Mibs Unable to Load!
From: "Vladan Milosevic" <vladan.milosevic@mobtel.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:45:07 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:45:46 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi all,

I had the same problem, I had to find out which files referenced variables
which were defined in this particular file (I guess that ADSL related MIBS
should not have too many of them.

Basically, when you locate BEGIN statement, copy everything untill the END.
Then check which variables are defined like those on the left side of the
OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= statement:

For example, let's think that the other one is not commented out:

nokiaProducts           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nokia 1 } this defines
nokiaProducts as nokia.1 (a mix of dotted notation and text). Above you can
find the definition for nokia being 94 below enterprises)

--ipsoProducts          OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nokiaProducts
21 }

This would define ipsoProducts as nokiaProducts.21 or nokia.1.21

I hope that I am not as confusing as I think I am...

So, you have to look for all defined variables from that file
ADSL-TC.MIB.my. Then search for them in the other files, get the list of
files and then unload them.

I have done this so many times, that, in the end I decided to load them from
the beginning, but this time, I manually looked through each of the files
which I loaded, just to make sure... DO NOT DO THAT, otherwise you risk
serious headaches for days and burning sensation in your eyes...

I hope that this has helped.

Regards,
Vladan Milosevic
Senior Engineer
IP Network and Services
Information Technology Division
063 MOBTEL Srbija

tel.    +381 63 79 08 106
fax     +381 11 30 13 452
GSM     +381 63 230 973
e-mail: vladan.milosevic@mobtel.co.yu

James..
Many thanks for looking into this..
I did figure out which MIB adsltc is and when i try to
unload, i got another error message as "Error detected
while unloading MIB:ADSL-TC.MIB.my. Unloading this MIB
will result in unresolved object id references(s) in
later MIBs" and even i say o.k. this does'nt get
unloaded. Look slike there are other MIb which are
depebdent on this MIB. How can i figure out which are
other MIBS which are depending on this? Any ideas sir?
Thanks,
Larry

--- James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> snmpv2mib
> file.
> seems to indicate that the MIB in error has the
> label "adsltcmib" in it.
> Yet the Nokia MIB you posted has no such label nor
> problem.
> That would mean that somehow, some MIB you already
> loaded has a bad
> MODULE-IDENTITY clause, and now you can't load
> anything else until that is
> unloaded.
>
> If you know which MIB defines the label "adsltcmib"
> , then use xnmloadmib2
> to unload it.
> If you don't know, then you can find out by browsing
> the
> /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib  file  and searching for it.
> When you find it, scroll backwards up in the file
> until you find the next
> BEGIN clause.  That will tell you the name of the
> MIB, and the next line
> above that will tell you the name of the file it's
> in.  Exit your browse
> and use xnmloadmib2 to unload it.
>
> When you go forward again loading MIBs, make sure
> you load them one at a
> time so you can catch and resolve any errors before
> they become part of
> your database.
>
> Hope this helps
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and
> Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>              Larry Fagan
>
>              <larrytechie@yaho
>
>              o.com>
>              Sent by:
> nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
>              owner-nv-l@lists.
>                    cc
>              us.ibm.com
>

>               Subject
>                                        [nv-l] Mibs
> Unable to Load!
>              03/17/2005 01:01
>
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>
>                    nv-l
>

> Hi all,
> I trying to load nokia-ipso-registration-mib which
> is
> below. I'm using xnmloadmib2 and getting following
> error. Any idea what it can be? I'm having this
> issue
> with multiple mibs.
> Error:
> This MIB cannot be loaded until the following
> problem
> is corrected:
>
> No label for parent. Accepted syntax for
> MODULE-IDENTITY nodes:
>  { label1 [ label2(subid2) ... ] object-subid1 }
> (adsltcmib): On or around line 317561 of the
> snmpv2mib
> file.
> Bad parse of MODULE-IDENTITY: On or around line
> 317561
> of the snmpv2mib file.
> Mib table is bad.
>
> MIB File:
> NOKIA-IPSO-REGISTRATION-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

4567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

> -- This line is 80 characters wide, keep lines in
> this
> file shorter than that--
> --

> --              Copyright (C) Nokia
> Telecommunications Oy 1998
> --

> -- This MIB Module defines the System MIB for
> products
> running IPSO.
> -- More detailed description of the variables and
> tables is
> -- provided in other related documentation.
> --
> -- Format:   SNMP v2 MIB (Simple network management
> protocol,
> --                version 2, Management Information
> Base  )
> --
> --

> -- Author      : Alan Francisco
> -- Version     : 1.02
> -- Created     : 02.12.1998
> -- Last Update : 28.01.1999 - Added ipsoIP3xx.
> --                        14.12.1998 - Added newer
> and more comprehensive
> --                                                IP
> and VPN product OIDs.
> --

> IMPORTS
>     enterprises, MODULE-IDENTITY
>             FROM SNMPv2-SMI;
>
> ipsoProducts MODULE-IDENTITY
>              LAST-UPDATED "0001140000Z"
>              ORGANIZATION "Nokia"
>              CONTACT-INFO
>              "Alan Fransisco
>               Postal: 313 Fairchild Drive
>                       Mountain View,
>                  California, 94043"
>
>              DESCRIPTION
>                          "The root of the OID
> sub-tree assigned to IPSO
> products"
>
>              REVISION "9812020000Z"
>         DESCRIPTION
>                          " Revision 1.02
>                            Added newer and more
> comprehensive
>                   IP and VPN product OIDs. -
> 14.12.1998
>                            Revision 1.02
>                            Added ipsoIP3xx -
> 28.01.1999"
>
>              REVISION "0001140000Z"
>         DESCRIPTION
>                          "MIB converted from SMIv1
> to SMIv2 format
>                          Revision 1.03 - 14.01.2000"
>
>         REVISION "0107170000Z"
>         DESCRIPTION
>                 "Added ipsoSosSystem for Ramp MIBs.
>                 Revision 1.5 - 17.07.2001"
>
>              ::=  { nokiaProducts 21 }
>
> nokia                                OBJECT
> IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 94
> }
> nokiaProducts                        OBJECT
> IDENTIFIER ::= { nokia 1 }
> --ipsoProducts                       OBJECT
> IDENTIFIER ::= { nokiaProducts

=== message truncated ===