Re: [nv-l] Mibs Unable to Load!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Mibs Unable to Load!
From: Larry Fagan <larrytechie@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:05:20 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:06:03 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
James,
It's better i contact IBM support. Thanks.. I just
have another basic question.. I was able to load few
MIBS in xnmloadmib which will be snmpv1. So does this
mean that  when any traps are recieved, they will
still be recognised and formatted?  Does loading these
mibs', will load traps in xnmtrap as well?
I'm sorry for asking basic questions...
thanks,
Larry
--- James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Nope.  Sorry.  I have no idea why it doesn't get
> unloaded when you say
> "OK", as my understanding is that it should.
>
> It sounds to me like your SNMPv2 MIB database has
> been forced into a bad
> position and I am not certain whether any advice I
> can give you will allow
> you to sort it out on your own, so I am going to
> recommend that you call
> IBM Support and get someone to help you.  You can
> send them both your
> /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib and
> /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin, as well as any
> individual MIBs that they request, and let them try
> to fix it properly for
> you, by removing the parts that aren't correct.  But
> ultimately, they may
> just have to assist you in rebuilding it.
>
> Alternatively, you could start over yourself.
> Here's the basic process.
> (1)First  get a list of what you have  loaded
> already.  This grep will get
> you that list of files and you can redirect it to a
> another file so you
> have a list for reference
>       grep START /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib > v2mib.list
> Then you can start rebuilding like this.
> (2) rename your existing v2 MIB databases to
> preserver them (just in case)
>       mv /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib
> /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.old
>       mv /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin
> /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin.old
> (3) create new empty ones
>       touch  /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib
>       touch  /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin
> (4) Load some version of the basic MIB II MIB to get
> started.  We ship a
> good one in /usr/OV/snmp_mibs
>       xnmloadmib2  -load /usr/OV/conf/rfc1213-MIB-II
> (5) Start loading the MIBs from the list you created
> step (1), but this
> time paying attention to the errors you get.
>       When you see error messages about left-over
> nodes, then stop and
> examine the MIB you just loaded.  In the IMPORTS
> section you will see other
> MIBs listed.  These are pre-reqs to the one you just
> loaded.  So obtain
> those additional MIBs and load them before
> proceeding, or unload the MIB
> you just loaded and move on to the next one.  You
> can always come back to
> the troublemakers later.  The errors will be
> cumulative if you don't get
> the pre-reqs.
> There's no need to obtain pre-reqs unless you get
> the error messages,
> because many times they are contained in multiple
> MIBs, and having loaded
> any one with the correct definitions will do the
> job.
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and
> Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>              Larry Fagan
>
>              <larrytechie@yaho

> [...]