Re: [nv-l] IP Address and $A option for automated action

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] IP Address and $A option for automated action
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:22:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:22:29 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Create a caching nameserver on NetView and issue the lookup.
If you have it cached locally it will take very little time.

You could query it from the database using nvdbformat or something,
but I would think that would expend even more cycles.

Paul

John Sobrinho wrote:

Hello All..
Does anyone know how to or if there is a way to pass both IP address and
Hostname to an action script ? Currently we pass $A to our scripts to get
the hostname, and  now have a requirement to get the IP address as well. I
am hoping there is a way to do this other than issuing a nslookup through
the script ? I have read through some of the archive and there is mentioning
of $8, but this makes no sense since some varbinds can surpass 8 elements.
The requirement may seem odd, but the ip address will be used on the tec
server to determine the ospf area, and will be used for some advanced
correlation.
Thanks
John