RE: [nv-l] Off Topic - Virus Scan for AIX

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Off Topic - Virus Scan for AIX
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:10:23 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:11:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I checked with our systems gurus here at the Department of Energy HQ.  Since DOE is so security conscious (we sit in the old Atomic Energy Commission HQ building since the AEC became part of DOE),  I thought they’d know if anyone did.  Here’s the statement I got:

In general, there are no true Unix viruses.  There are AV programs sold for UNIX.  Most are sold only because someone is willing to pay for them.   They don't protect UNIX from viruses, but instead scan either mail passing through a UNIX mail server, or when a UNIX system is used as a file server (NFS, SAMBA, etc) they will scan files for known Windows based virus patterns.    IBM used to include a virus scanner called virscan with earlier versions of AIX.  It did nothing more than scan all files for known windows world virus patterns. They have discontinued support of this application.

Here is IBM's information about where to purchase antivirus software that will run on AIX:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/security/feature/antivirus.html

Reading the blurbs on the linked site would lead me to believe it’s all Unix based services to the Windows world.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE