Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running ospf

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running ospf
From: jeff.ctr.vandenbussche@faa.gov
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:06:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:07:41 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

James,

Since netmon cannot discover/status the nodes the way I need it to, I am
going to try and not use netmon at all.  Is there any problem with shutting
netmon down, and not having it ever running (do other daemons depend on
netmon, etc), or am I better of just excluding all my IPs in the seed file.

Thanks,

Jeff

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             04/01/2005 12:01          ospf
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Jeff,
 xnmsnmpconf lets you define an SNMP proxy.  That would be the interface we
would use for SNMP if you have one defined, at least so far as I understand
it.

Your other issue is beyond me.   I'm not the netmon guy.  And so far as I
know, the only way to diagnose netmon problems is with the netmon trace.

 I'm sorry that Support hasn't called you back, but realistically, they are
going to have a very hard time following all this.    You've made so many
changes from normal here that I'm not certain anyone can help.

But netmon isn't capricious.  It's doing pings and SNMP polling, based on
what's in it's databases and config files.  So if it's not doing that
correctly, then the thing to do, in my mind, is to undo your changes
completely and start over.  No dual definitions in the seed file, no
special entries in xnmsnmpconf.   Just basic stuff.   You may have to
delete these nodes from your databases and rediscover them, with just one
discovery entry in the seed file and one entry in xnmsnmpconf, nothing
special, to put things right.  The thing to remember, I think, is that if
netmon is confused now, it's because, somehow, you confused him.  So try to
"un-confuse" him and proceed more cautiously after that.

That's the only advice I can give you.   I'm sorry if it's a bitter pill
and not more helpful.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             jeff.ctr.vandenbu
             ssche@faa.gov
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/01/2005 11:05          Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             AM                        ospf

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

James,

How  can  I let xnmsnmpconf define a "preferred" interface? What would
happen if I define this interface as my "virtual" IP interface on the box?
That sounds like what I want, but I am not sure what the syntax of
xnmsnmpconf  is to do this.

Also, another problem I am running into:

When I stop/start software on some boxes, the status of the active
interface changes.  In other words,  I stop my custom app on host1,  netmon
changes the status of ethernet 0 (the active interface) on host1 from
normal to critical on the map.  If I display object status from the menu,
the status is listed as normal (but still displayed as critical on the map.
These should have nothing to do with Netview (although they include SNMP
subagents)

I even tried to rebuild the topology without my custom topology. letting
netmon do the only discovery, and I got the same results.  What gets worse
is that I shutdown a custom app on host3, and host1 and host2 E0 switch
from normal to marginal??????

Note that in my seed file I have both ICMP and SNMP defined as status
polling (can this be done?).  This was the only way I could get netmon to
status everything correctly (except this problem).  I tried using either
ICMP or SNMP and still got the same results.

I have left a message with support, but I am still waiting for them to call
me back.

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             04/01/2005 08:34          ospf
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

I'm not the expert with regard to using our APIs, but  I don't see how you
can do what you want using our code, unless perhaps you can set up name
resolution so that each interface is regarded as a separate host.  The way
you want to do things and the way NetView was designed to do them seem to
me to be two entirely different things.   As others have already explained,
the NetView model is to let  bind with whatever interface it is directed
to.  We use whatever works.  Once on the box, we let SNMP tell us what the
other interfaces are doing, rather than try to set up separate sessions
over them.   xnmsnmpconf lets you set up a preferred interface, but it's
one per host, and if that one's down we'll try another.  You really are on
your own here with this design you've cooked up, so far as I can see.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             jeff.ctr.vandenbu
             ssche@faa.gov
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/31/2005 04:18          Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             PM                        ospf

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

James,

What I am mainly looking for is a way to bind Netview to do all it's
outgoing/incoming SNMP querys to a particular IP (interface ) on the
server.  I have 3 IP's (interfaces) defined on the server:

server - this IP/interface uses ospf to select which interface to use

server-ethernet0
server-ethernet1

I want Netview to always use the IP associated with server, but Netview
seems to always use the active interface at the time.  I know with net-snmp
you can set the address/port you want it to listen on.  I actually tried
this, but then netmon failed, stating that SNMP wasn't bound to localhost.
I am having trouble when I fail the active interface, I lose all SNMP
status, instead of swapping to the other interface.

Note we have already had to modify ping, traceroute, etc to bind in this
way.  Any way to do this in Netview.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             03/30/2005 12:55          ospf
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Custom daemons using the OVsnmp APIs?   I presume that you've done a lot of
reading in the Programmer's Guide and especially the Programmer's Reference
about using these routines.  I can't say I quite follow what you are trying
to do with them, however.

In any case,  OVsnmpOpen uses the NetView SNMP database, the one you
maintain with xnmsnmpconf to obtain the peer address for the open.  Before
opening the session it does an OVsnmpResolveConfEntry( ) to get the IP
Address  or proxy address to use.   That means that if there's already an
IP Address in the xnmsnmp cache, he'll use that one.  If there isn't one,
he'll try gethostbyname to determine one, and take the first one he gets
back.

So, offhand, my advice would be to trying clearing the xnmsnmpconf cache
before you establish your session.  That would force a re-evaluation.  You
could even dump it and see what it contains.   But if that doesn't do it,
then the issue has to be name resolution.

HTH

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             jeff.ctr.vandenbu
             ssche@faa.gov
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/29/2005 04:07          [nv-l] Monitoring nodes running
             PM                        ospf

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I have a small network with ~ 12 boxes.  Each box consists on 2 Ethernet
ports, and then a 3rd "virtual" interface, with ospf running on each box.
My problem is with several custom polling daemons that status MIB variables
on these various nodes.  I have each node defined in the host file on the
Netview box with the virtual IP.  The polling daemons use Netview API calls
(OVsnmpOpen) to open an snmp session with each node using the virtual
IP/hostname.  The problem occurs during failures.  If I fail the active
interface on the remote box, the snmp polling responses timeout, and don't
switch over to the other route to the nodes  It seems as if the snmp
session binds to the active interface, rather than the virtual IP that is
defined.

Also, if I shutdown the active interface on the Netview box, I lose all
statuses from all nodes.  I am not sure if this is a Netview configuration,
a Netview API, or an snmp issue.  Any suggestions??

Is there a way to setup Netview to status (via SNMP)  multiple IP addresses
for the same node.
Can a daemon/lrf be set up to respawn? I could then have the session
timeout, then respawn.

Thanks,

Jeff VanDenbussche
JSA/ATO-E