Re: [nv-l] ovtopodump hostname not displaying anything

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ovtopodump hostname not displaying anything
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:52:15 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:52:48 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Is the question how to get Netview to automatically delete interfaces that have been deconfigured? Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. I have read in the past that it depends on the flag settings for that type of device in /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type. The S flag is there to prevent the deletion of interfaces that normally 'come and go'. In that case, you are expected to manually delete the interface card from the router on the map. You should do that before the address is re-assigned to some other device.

I don't think this is a complete match to what you are describing, but perhaps it is a clue. I would plan on making map deletions a part of the change control process that gets such changes implemented in the network.

Detroit

"Pretorius, Vynita" <VPretorius@fnb.co.za>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/18/2005 10:05 AM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] ovtopodump hostname not displaying anything

Hi All

Netview 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3

I have two problems
1)         Configurations of the routers are not being refreshed in netview.
2)         After rediscovery ovtopodump router123 does not display anything.

This has only been occurring recently. I have a router “router123”. I can topodump it, demandpoll it, ovobjprint it. When dumping I can see it has an address of another allocated router – so it is not refreshing the configuration no matter how many times I demandpoll it. I telnet into the router and quite true the interface is no longer valid, but I can’t get netview to drop that info about that interface from router123, I then delete the router from all maps, I check it is no longer anywhere dump,demandpoll all come up blank / error finding  device. I do a loadhosts –p –a  of that host, it gets loaded , I can then demandpoll it and it now reflects the correct interfaces. But when I do a topodump router123 is gives me nothing, but if I run ovobjprint and get the object id and do a ovtopodump “objected” it display everything.
 Why is this happening? And how do I fix it?

Thanks
Vynita

The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those
of the FirstRand Banking Group an Authorised Financial Service Provider or its management.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data
transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or
responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted
or does not reach its intended destination.