Re: [nv-l] HSRP

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] HSRP
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:30:10 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:30:42 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The question is not very clear, so if this does not help, please ask again.

I suspect that you are trying to discover two routers named xxx.xxx.xxx.201 and xxx.xxx.xxx.202, and that you are also getting a third router called xxx.xxx.xxx.203, but that is really the hsrp interface that moves between the other two.

I've recently struggled with the discovery of HSRP at current maintenance levels, and came to some new conclusions.

First, those $ entries say to poll those devices via snmp. You don't want to do that. The hsrp interfaces are not in the Interface table, so they cannot be polled via snmp. To force or allow the discovery of the two real routers ,  put this in the seedfile, without the hsrp records:
        xxx.xxx.xxx.201
     xxx.xxx.xxx.202

Stop netmon.
Delete what was discovered incorrectly.
Restart netmon, and rediscover the two routers you want.
After they are properly drawn on the IP Internet level of the map, add the hsrp entry to the seedfile:
   %xxx.xxx.xxx.203
   xxx.xxx.xxx.203
The first entry says 'this is an hsrp address'.
The second entry says 'please discover this address'
Stop and start netmon so it re-reads the seedfile.
Now it should add the 203 iterface to one or the other of the two real routers as an hsrp interface. There will be events in trapd.log saying that an hsrp interface was added. It may take 5 or 10 minutes to happen. The hsrp poll happens every 5 minutes.

Changes to the hsrp directives (%) (and also the snmp directives, $) are only read at netmon startup.)

I usually only have to be this careful when discoverying very large routers, especially when all interfaces, including hsrp interfaces, resolve to different names. I think it is just a timing thing. Removing those hsrp entries during initial discovery prevents netmon from erroneously creating a node from an hsrp interface which it might have trouble merging later on.

Detroit

Javier Morate Guerrero <jmorate@carrefour.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/31/2005 11:42 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] HSRP

      Hi,

     AIX 5.1.0.55.    NetView 7.1.4  FP 2

     I have a problem with HSRP.

     I have  two routers  (xxx.xxx.xxx.201 and xxx.xxx.xxx.202) with HSRP
ip xxx.xxx.xxx.200.

     In the seedfile I have these entries:

     xxx.xxx.xxx.201
     $xxx.xxx.xxx.201
     xxx.xxx.xxx.202
     $xxx.xxx.xxx.202
     %xxx.xxx.xxx.200

     Only I want to have, in the map, the physical routers (201 and 202)
and not the HSRP router (200).

     Is it possible?

      Un saludo,

Francisco Javier Morate Guerrero