Re: [nv-l] Ruleset problem with Netview 7.1.4 running RedHat Linux AS 2.

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset problem with Netview 7.1.4 running RedHat Linux AS 2.1
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:11:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:12:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Glen,
As a general rule you do NOT want to make a query smartset your first entry in any ruleset. Query smartset is expensive, so you want to be sure you do it only on the events you really need
to check.

Filter by the event first, then go to a smartset and actions or whatever:

-> Action - Send email |
                      -> Node Down > Query Smartset \(slot 1)
EventStream- |-> Reset on Match > Pager > Action send email
                      -> Node Up > Query Smartset      /(slot 2)

Also, make sure your smartset has the nodes in the there that you are concerned about. Running "nvUtil l <smartsetname>" should show you the members of that smartset. Make
sure the smartset is not blue on the map.

Paul

Glen Warn wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to build a ruleset that looks something like this (see below) I am not a seasoned ruleset builder so please keep that in mind if you reply! -> Action - Email (historical log of node Down trap) -> ->Node Down Trap ->
Event Stream -> -> Reset on Match -> Pager -> Action - Email (historical log of paged event)
                            ->Node Up Trap    ->
This works just fine but has not event attribute filtering (like source host). If I insert an Event Attribute #2 right after the Event Stream or before the Pager - it works perfectly. Problem is, I want to query a smartset because I have so many different hosts that need this rule. When I do insert the Query Smartset (in either of the 2 positions described above) - the rule stops functioning. I am using Object ID Source = 2 and using a smartset that includes the servers I want to monitor. Any thoughts? Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
glen.warn@pemcocorp.com <mailto:glen.warn@pemcocorp.com>
206-628-5770