RE: [nv-l] Ruleset ? using Compare MIB Variable

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Ruleset ? using Compare MIB Variable
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:53:03 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

snmpwalk and snmpget are two different operations.  In the first case you
don't have to specify a starting variable (because we provide a default for
you), and if you choose to do so, then you can specify a branch node rather
than a leaf node of the MIB tree, because snmpwalk will just keep asking
for the next leaf of the tree until none are left (snmpwalk does repeated
SNMP getnext calls.).  But for snmpget you must specify the exact MIB
instance, the leaf, you want or you'll get an error back.   Table elements
have an index as an instance number.  Simple objects have an instance
number of zero, by convention.

Thus, to get sysUpTime returned from snmpwalk you can say
      snmpwalk  .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3  <node name>
For snmpget you must specify the "0" instance
      snmpget    .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0  <node name>

Your ruleset is going to do snmpget, so you have to specify the instance
you want there too.
What you should get back is just the numeric value.  The textual stuff you
see on the command line when you run the commands there is added by that
executable to make the result more understandable.

I have no explanation about your sniffer results.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Glen Warn"
             <Glen.Warn@pemcoc
             orp.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [nv-l] Ruleset ? using Compare
             04/28/2005 02:04          MIB Variable
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi James,

I have much more info now.  I do have several good debugs saying the
problem is "CompareMIBDnode.C[159] :   SNMP GET operation for this MIB
object failed."  This was really helpful.  Since then, I've tried the
numeric OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3 and the worded syntax
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysUpTime.  Neither seem to make
any difference.  I took a different approach and put a sniffer on the
machine being queried and see that no SNMP GET is ever happening!  I can
do an snmpwalk of the same thing and decode the conversation though.

Do you have any other ideas?

Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
glen.warn@pemcocorp.com
206-628-5770