Re: [nv-l] Ruleset ? using Compare MIB Variable

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset ? using Compare MIB Variable
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:31:25 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:31:54 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Glen,

Have you been tracing nvcorrd's execution of your rulesets with "nvcdebug
-d all" as I suggested?
If you want to see why one case is working and the other not, that's the
way.

By definition, SNMP TimeTicks are in hundredths of a second, or at least
that's what they should be.  So you should get 600 to the minute, not 1000.

There is no good source for writing rulesets.  The only Redbook I know of
which discusses them is very old, SG24-4515-00, Examples Using NetView for
AIX Version 4, which came out when rulesets were new (December 1995).   If
you search the nv-l archives you should also find a short document I wrote
giving some performance hints and tips.  We've already discussed much of it
in your last few postings.   But running the trace is the way to answer
most questions.

If you are using NetView traps, then I would specify attribute 2, the
fully-qualified hostname, rather then the Origin as the source of your MIB
query.  Why?  You don't want to query the NetView box, but the host the
trap is about.  If you are using non-NetView traps then Origin is required.

HTH

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group