Re: [nv-l] Execute a command when a threshold has been reached

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Execute a command when a threshold has been reached
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:00:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:01:26 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

No, the data collector, snmpCollect,  like all other NetView processes,
sends NetView traps, which have the NetView OID, as their enterprise id.
The OID of the MIB element you are thresholding on, , or in this case its
name,  would be a data element of the trap.   This is as it should be,
because the OID of the trap should Identify the sender, not his message.

This is NetView for UNIX,, correct?
line as xnmcollect.  In the bottom panel where you configure the threshold,
you will see the specific trap number.  By default this is 58720263, and
the matching re-arm event is 58720264.  If you click on the buttons which
say "Configure Threshold event" or "Configure Re-arm event" ,  the Trap
Settings GUI (xnmtrap) will open with that event highlighted in context.
If you look at these two events you will see what data is sent with the
trap in the description.  Now you can configure these traps by making
copies of them, giving them new names,   and putting your collection node
(ism-test) in the node list.  Then when trapd gets those traps from those
nodes  he will format them the way you have specified in your copy, and if
you also put a command in the automatic action box, he will forward that to
ovactiond to be executed.  That's how you would notify someone by pager or
e-mail.

If you prefer, as an alternative, you can  create  your own specific traps
instead.  You aren't limited to the numbers 58720263 and 58720264, but you
are limited to the NetView OID.  Back on the collection panel you can
specify the trap id for the threshold trap.  Pick a number between 1001 and
1099.  Those are reserved for customer use by NetView.  snmpCollect will
use that as the specific trap number, and you'll have to create an entry
for the in trap settings.  The re-arm trap will be one number higher ( e.g,
if you configure 1001 as the threshold, then the re-arm will be 1002).
Then when you make your copies, you can change the number to match, and you
need not bother with the node list.

Hope this helps.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Richard Eriksen"
             <re@compare.dk>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/13/2005 06:55          [nv-l] Execute a command when a
             AM                        threshold has been reached

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi List

Here is what i’m trying to do, I would like netview to send an e-mail when
a mib threshold has been reached.

This is what I’ve done so far, I have created a mib data collector via the
Tools->Mib->Collect data menu.
I there, I’ve defined that the collector should look for data from the
following mib.
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.hosr.Hr.Devices.HrProcessorTable.HrProcessorEntry.HrProcessorLoad,
 which equles to 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1
And when this mib value has reached  => 50 the collector should send a
trap.

This part seems almost to be working, because, when I look in the event
browser, I see the following entrie

13-05-2005 09:51:12,Indeterminate,ism-test,hrProcessorLoad 1 threshold
triggered (> 50): 69,,1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3,58720263,Netmon-related,

Which leads my first question, where does the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 come from,
since the oid I selected I data collect menu was 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1 ?

Here comes the part where I’m unsure on how to proceed
I think I have to goto Options->Trap Settings menu, and click new. Now as
far as i can tell the name could be anything, it’s the id I am not sure
about, should it be the oid of the mib netview is collecting data from ?

Ps.
I’ve read the documentation several times, but I’m getting nowhere.

Regards
Richard Eriksen
Compare IT Service
Denmark