Re: [nv-l] update process for MIB´s

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] update process for MIB´s
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:45:10 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:45:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

May I ask what's prompting this question?
New MIBs usually mean new software levels for the agent, else how would
they be supported?

You should be told about support for new MIBs by the vendor whose agents
respond to them when you upgrade the software.  If for example, you have to
put a new IOS in a router, then that's when one would expect the vendor of
that software to tell you about a new MIB, isn't it?  So until you upgrade,
it should not be an issue.  And if you are collecting data successfully
using the current MIB, then why would you be worried about there being a
new one?

Documentation on when a new MIB is available is up to the vendor.    IBM is
not soliciting vendors for MIBs these days.    But if you want some
additional MIBs included in the product, then you can contact your
marketing representative or Level 2 and ask them to open an enhancement
request.  Those are being addressed by development, albeit slowly.

Remember too that a "no format found" message is trapd.log doesn't
necessarily mean that here is a new MIB, only that you haven't defined that
trap.  All the cases I've ever seen involve people not having run mib2trap
on a current MIB, not being caught out  by a new one, though I suppose that
is always possible.

But the most important thing to understand is that your first assumption is
indeed false.  There is no guarantee from anyone that a newer version of a
MIB will be compatible enough to replace an old one without having to
unload it the previous one.  There's no RFC for that.  It is entirely up to
the vendor who provides the MIB and I have seen cases, though not recently,
where it is false.  The is especially true of new, experimental, or draft
MIBs.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Mildeberger,
             Thorsten"
             <thorsten.mildebe                                          To
             rger@eds.com>             nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       [nv-l] update process for MIB´s

             05/17/2005 07:54
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi all,
we are using several of our Netview servers (version 7.1.3, fixpack 3) as a
trap receiver and therefore have to deal with updating the trap
definitions.
I would like to know as a kind of best practices how you manage to keep
track on this?

a)
are we right in thinking that new versions of MIB files (regardless of the
vendor who is providing those MIB files) do always cover the previous
version (same content), i.e. they are compatible to each other? Or could it
be in some cases that definitions are going to be removed in new versions
of
MIB files?

b)
what is the best practice to get always informed about the most current
version of a MIB file / updates / changes?

1) to check the webpages of the vendors for new versions, filesize of the
MIB files etc.
2) to receive a vendor´s newsletter, which covers such nice information
about updates of specific MIB files?
3) check the trapd.log file for "unknown traps" to search for them in the
internet

Thank you - it is greatly appreciated.

best regards,