Re: [nv-l] NetView and TEC on same Win2K box

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView and TEC on same Win2K box
From: ray.smith@clorox.com
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:42:41 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:43:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Jane,

You could still probably get by with both in the same sql engine as long as they are using different db's and table spaces.

The question is how or what is in fp02 that updates the db?  and why are you going to fp02.  Is not fp03 out??  Or is there a problem with fp03?

Perhaps doing a wstopesvr until you have completed updating all like or dependent applications is key when running on the same db?

My experience with TCM on win2k sql7 and also win2003 sql 8 with planner, ccm, inv, mdist2 all have unique rims and db's even though they use the same sql engine.  So updates to one does not kill the other.  Otherwise the same db is an issue not just for updates for backtrack, and replication....

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;
the point is to discover them. "  ( Galileo, Galilei )

Ray Smith
Enterprise Systems Management
The Clorox Services Company

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/18/2005 12:10 PM
Please respond to nv-l

        cc:        (bcc: Ray Smith/US-Corporate/Clorox)
        Fax to:
        Subject:        [nv-l] NetView and TEC on same Win2K box

Windows 2000 system with TEC 3.9 Fixpack2 and NetView 7.1.4 Fixpack 2.
Both systems use MS SQL databases on the same Win2K system.

Today we observed 2 breakages of TEC by doing things to NetView.  When
we installed NV 7.1.4 Fixpack 2 the tec RIM broke and lost contact with
the MS SQL database.  We lost TEC Server and Consoles.

Later we cleared the NetView databases and this stopped the TEC Server -
it came back with a wstartesvr.

These should be completely independent databases!  Anyone else seen this
behaviour?

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565