Re: [nv-l] interfaces info in the Database table interfacesclass

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] interfaces info in the Database table interfacesclass
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:14:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:14:57 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The rdbms will only have in it what Netview draws. And Netview only draws numbered interfaces. It cross-references the interface table and the address table. It does also draw unnumbered serial interfces if the other end of the connection is in your map. Things you can ping. So its discovery is layer3, not layer2. To handle layer2 interfaces (ports on switches), you need to add Switch Analyzer. That will still not draw the objects, so they will not be exported to the rdbms, but it will monitor and manage the connections.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/06/2005 03:30 PM
Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] interfaces info in the Database table interfacesclass

NV 7.1.3 FP3, SOLARIS 8, RDBMS SYBASE 12
Hi Folks,
I have configure Netview to use a RDBMS SYBASE 12 to
store my topology, node, interfaces data.

There is a table called interfacesclass that
supposedly holds data about devices interfaces.

Here is my problem:
If a device (Cisco Switch) has a VLAN configured, it
looks like only that VLAN will show in the
interfaceclass database table; ....
If I use a MIB browser aand query the ifTable, I then
have all interfaces (VLANs, Fastethernets, Serial,
Giga's, etc ....) being reported.

Q1: How do I make Netview to discover all interfaces
(VLANs, Fastethernets, Serial, Giga's, etc ....)on a
Device?

Q2: Any other suggestions are welcomed...

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"